Saturday, December 9, 2006

Big

I'm a pretty big guy, but I usually forget since my time spent in football surrounded me with people who dwarfed me. I don't think of myself as exceptionally tall (i'm six foot two) nor do i think Im huge, because I used to be a lot more muscular. Well, my average weight for the last year or so has been around 250 lbs. Granted, that's alot, but in my mind its only middle of the road, not 300lbs (many lineman weigh over 300) or even 275lbs (many defensive lineman weigh around this). Anyway, since winter quarter of school last year, I have had little opportunity to work out at all, be it cardio or strength training, so I've got a pretty clear idea in my mind that I'm VERY out of shape. However, since about wedding time, my caloric intake has apparently increased dramatically and I found myself stepping on the scale and eventually seeing a blinking 277.3 before my eyes. Needless to say I was shocked and almost mortified at what I have become. Well, my poor wife, bless her heart, has been gently and lovingly encouraging me to work out a little more and maybe eat a little healthier. I quickly defend myself, telling her about my recent growth spurt which added a half inch in height, and atleast two inches in girth to my frame. The problem, however, is that the added couple inches to my frame do not account for the many added inches around my belly button. So my wife wanted to show me how my face serves as an indicator of my growth and showed me side by side pictures of me in the same shirt taken a little more than a year apart and boy, is there a difference. You might as well call me Fatty McButterpants. Well, I knew when I looked at the numbers on the scale, that I am currently HUGE, however, when I saw the pictures of me it definately reinforced this conclusion and has left me in a very precarious situation in the midst of the holiday eating bonanza that accompanies the season. Well, in January we move to Kailua, Hawai'i and we will live next-door to the YMCA and I will have a more stable life to add a fitness schedule to. Lets just hope that before then, I don't break the three bills mark. Good luck with your own holiday fitness attempts.

PS last night we watched a sindicated episode of King of Queens, and Carey, the wife bought a new shirt for her husband Doug (played by Kevin James, who is very round) and he finds out from the bag that she bought the shirt from the Big and Tall store. He goes crazy about this because he says that he sure isnt tall (five-nine) so he must be BIG. Anyhoo, there is a point in the episode where he relates a situation at the bank when someone called him Fatty McButterpants. Cary responds, "So ya didn't think you were fat when someone calls you Fatty McButterpants, but ya do when I buy ya clothes from the Big and Tall store?!?!?!" . My wife said something similar when I freaked out about my picture, but it didn't seem to freak me out when I saw the scale. anyway, maybe you had to be there.

Only In Love (and a whole lot of Grace)
~JD

2 comments:

kylemowery said...

i feel ya bro - i'm tipping in @ 240 so maybe we chould make like a 679 group of 500lbs together or something. Best of luck working out and see ya next week...

TX said...

i feel your pain, bro. great to see you this morning in all your glory...all 277.3 pounds of it. glorious.