Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Future

So Annie and I were talking yesterday about how my homeboy Josiah has a desire to use the medical training he is currently recieving (he is in physical therapy grad school) and doing some intense mission work later in his life with it in areas where medical treatment is shoddy. Annie was excited about this because we began talking about organizing a trip of all my friends when we are a little older and using our respective educations, calls, and talent to alleviate some suffering in a place that needs it. we thought of how my friend Andy, who is applying to Law Schools could bring his expertise in that arena, how she (annie) and I could use our ministry, leadership and sociological training, how our friend Mike could use his structural engineering knowlegde in immediately impactful way.

Annie started a fire in my soul. I started to think about it more and think of my other friends and their talents, skills, and calls. I think about how the Mowery's would bring so many different areas of knowledge, I have a hard time defining them, I think of my friend Niko, who is applying to and interviewing with different med schools. I think of My brother Kenn who already is already fluent in 2 languages and is working on his 3rd(and has plans for many more). I think of so many of my friends who are so blessed and gifted and I get excited that we can possibly work together and have such an enormous impact. I realize that this would be a good ten or fifteen years down the road, but I can help but get excited and tell people, as I know there are friends and loved ones who read this who I haven't thought of yet who could also lend themselves to this cause.

God has blessed my friends and I immessurably, and as I see My life this week revolving around Micah 6:8 " He has showed you, O man, what is good. / And what does the LORD require of you? / To act justly and to love mercy / and to walk humbly with the LORD,"

Put this in your heads and your prayer lists. What if we bathed this idea in prayer for ten years and then did it? How powerfully would God show up with all of us acting in service for his glory. you guys rock. join me in this

In His Aloha
~JD
OIL

4 comments:

kylemowery said...

thats a very interesting idea big guy... I'm sure you wouldn't have a hard time getting people to go!!! Its funny when you look at everyone’s combined skilz that its easy to see a very viable place to serve emerge. For example: my optometrist is a surfer and he does his surfing all around the world and takes a bunch or DR friends and they serve medically while they “vacation”. Mark us down. BTW as a finance guy not a lot of my ‘workin’ skillz are applicable to 3rd world countries but one thing that’s really been interesting me lately is the rise of companies that provide transportable water purification systems to remote areas. Its absolutely astonishing the lack of attention H2O quality receives. I’d love to discuss…

Unknown said...

We're gonna need to update this. "I think of my friend Niko, who is starting at UCSF in September for medical school." In 15 years, I'll be surgical homie. Count me in.

Only by grace,

-N

Christie said...

That is such an exciting idea! It's definitely an encouragement to think that these "normal" things we do every day could make such an impact in the places that absolutely need it the most. Let's pray this up and see what God does in the (who knows how distant) future. God trained Paul for nearly 20 years, but He also calls people to just go. Praise God.

Deadmanshonda said...

I'm impressed with you guys. Keep up that passion. I, for one, have Annie's parents as an example of adults who never lost their passion for bringing light into the lives of others. I am certain you'll be the same way.....and I'd love to join you. ;)